Introducing the LLLNZ Alumnae Association
As with many of you, some of our closest friends are women we first met at La Leche League meetings. We have nourished these relationships beyond baby and toddlerhood, through the teenage years, careers, possibly marriage and perhaps grandchildren.
In several areas of New Zealand groups of former Leader and members had been meeting regularly for many years and the establishment of the LLLNZ Alumnae Association enhanced the opportunity for these relationships continuing on a wider scale and for others to reconnect for the first time.
LLLNZ Alumnae Association is an independent organisation operating under the auspices of LLLNZ. Former LLLNZ Director, Anne Heritage said: “Alumnae is in general use around the English-speaking LLL world and carries the connotation of a light that has gone before.” She pointed out: “LLL cannot be disassociated from learning: it may be informal learning that goes on through participation in La Leche League, but it is none the less valid for that.”
Sixty years on since the first LLL group was established in Mt Albert, Auckland we are offering an Alumnae Reunion Day as part of LLLNZ 60th Anniversary Conference in Cambridge.
2024 Reunion: Saturday 20th April, St Peters School, Cambridge. Please click here for details
The purpose of LLLNZ Alumnae
- To uphold and support the philosophy, values and spirit of La Leche League in the wider community.
- To provide networking and educational opportunities for former League members and long-term active members.
- To reconnect, reflect and refresh.
- To maintain close and regular communication and liaison with LLLNZ.
- To offer support to LLLNZ and undertake wherever possible, such projects as can be reasonably managed.
- To recognise the accomplishment of former Leaders and members.
How are these goals being achieved?
- By establishing a network of regional representatives to encourage and facilitate local activities.
- By assisting regional groups in the organising of reunions, either in conjunction with LLLNZ conferences or independently.
- By maintaining a national database of former members and long-serving members.
- By the publication of periodic newsletters.
- Outreach into our communities to support breastfeeding mothers and families.
Regional Representatives are Alumnae members willing to initiate and facilitate social and educational activities in their regions. The Regional Representatives are keen to hear from you.
LLLNZ Alumnae Committee 2022
|Gmail and Database Administrator
To find out more about the LLLNZ Alumnae Association or to contact any one of the LLLNZ Alumnae committee please send us an email otherwise telephone Alison at 020 155 0503
We hope you will consider becoming an Alumnae Association Member. Our membership year now runs from 1 January to 31 December. Should you wish to do so please complete current membership form here
Below you will find articles from issues of Kaleidoscope, the magazine which was published for Alumnae members until mid 2018.
Each issue of Kaleidoscope included articles and stories written by Alumnae and LLLNZ members.
These included biographical accounts of careers; parenting and grand-parenting; other life changing experiences; news from LLLNZ and information about regional meetings and conferences. Kaleidoscope also reprinted medical articles and (at the time) current breastfeeding research from LLLNZ publications and other reputable sources.
If you are interested in the role of Kaleidoscope Editor or Layout Editor, please contact one of the LLLNZ Alumnae committee.
Selected Kaleidoscope Articles
Our Global Breastfeeding World – Issue 69, October 2015
Online La Leche League Meetings – Issue 68, July 2015
Unexpected Pleasures – Issue 66, October 2014
Breastfeeding, our common mother tongue – Issue 65, July 2014
Don’t Touch Me! – Issue 64, March 2014